Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Practical Fashion - Careless Whisper

I have always been pretty clumsy. When I was young, everyone always blamed my mega-klutziness on being really tall for my age. I stopped growing about 20 years ago now, and sadly my clumsiness has stuck around for the long hall.

If I'm not tripping and falling into messes (like dirt or grass), I'm constantly spilling stuff on myself. Having a toddler around is not really helping matters, as my 'lil peanut loves to come over and wipe his grubby hands on my pants. I guess being clumsy all my life has informed most of my fashion choices. My wardrobe is pretty much composed of pieces that work with my clumsiness, as opposed to working against it.

Even if you are not a clumsy klutz like me, if you have a little one at home you will very likely get mess on yourself every day. Here are some tips for still looking alright while rocking the baby dirt:




1) Stains blend in better on prints
If you pick the right pattern, no one is going to notice that you have baby vomit on your shoulder. Make sure it's busy and cut really well.


2) Layering is your best friend
While breastfeeding, I found it easiest to wear tank tops over nursing bras and then just to throw a cardigan or jacket on top. Not only did this make it easier to feed my 'lil peanut on the go, but it was also handy when I got stuff all over myself. If dirt got on my tanktop, I could throw a backup tank on over top, or just do up my cardigan. If I spilled on my cardigan? I'd take it off if it was warm enough or throw a jean jacket on top if it was not. Kind of the fashion equivalent of throwing a blanket over that spot on your couch, yes?


3) Try a reversible top


Last fall, I made an impulse purchase of a Uniqlo reversible cardigan in NYC. When I got home, I thought it was going to be one of those sweaters you throw in your closet and forget about. Wrong! I wore that sweater a ton last winter and spring, mainly because if I got dirt down one side, I could just flip it around. The neckline made it so that it just looked like I was trying to be "edgy" wearing it buttoned up the back. Really, I was just trying to pretend I hadn't spilled spaghetti sauce on myself. Very helpful when out on the town or in a pinch.

4) Dirt on denim isn't so bad


When I was 14 and stored all of my clothes in heaps on my bedroom floor, my mother decided to try some tough love and stopped doing my laundry for me. Because I was a lazy teen, I started experimenting with seeing how long I could go without washing some of my clothes. I'm not talking about underwear or socks or anything like that. I wore jeans or cords most days, and because they were lame to fold, I washed them way less often than the rest of my clothes. Even as an adult, I think most of us out there don't wash our jeans every single time we wear them. Baby food smudges and coffee drips look sloppy on dress pants or khakis, but don't really show up on jeans at all.


5) Dry clean only? Don't bother!

I have 5 or 6 blazers and coats in my closet that I have dry cleaned from time to time, but everything else can go in the washing machine. After wrecking a few expensive tops and dresses with wine stains and cigarette burns (during my wayward youth - I've been smoke free for years now), I now don't even bother with delicate fabrics. I constantly see lots of ladies out there who are always immaculate and look so put together in their pressed silks and such. Me? I'd get coffee on that shit in like 10 seconds. I stick to fabrics that hold up after I throw them in the wash. Many of my clothes are labeled "dry clean only", but I haven't had any trouble when I've washed them on a cold, gentle cycle with a detergent designed for delicate fabrics. Just make sure you hang or lay flat to dry (no dryer for the delicates!)

Claudette's Dress (apc.fr)
Étoile Isabel Marant Lexy Sweater (lagarconne.com)
T by Alexander Wang Reversible Long Sleeve Sweater (shopbop.com)
Goldsign Quinn Mid-Rise Bootcut Jean (net-a-porter.com)
Equinox Stripe Maxi (anthropologie.com)

XOXO,
Emily

top photo via smartlifetips.net

No comments:

Post a Comment