Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Friday, May 13, 2011

Practical Fashion - Help! I Have To Dress Nice For Work!


It goes without saying that pregnant ladies have a lot going on to deal with. The least of your worries when you are pregnant should be figuring out what to wear to work each morning. I have to dress pretty corporate for my job, so it was not so easy for me to find work wear options during my pregnancy. I did my best and created some looks that ended up working well. Here are my tips for putting together easy work-appropriate outfits while pregnant.

Jackets & blazers are your friends

While there was no chance of fitting into the bottom half of any of my suits after I was about 4 months along, I was able to wear all my blazers right up until the end of my pregnancy. They wouldn't button up, but I just made sure to wear cute dresses or tops underneath. I was able to get away with wearing jersey t-shirts and tanks to work because the blazer over top instantly dressed them right up. Don't spend money on maternity blazers if you can avoid it.

Buy neutral trousers
You can get away with wearing the same pants 3-4 times in a week if you make sure they are neutral. I only bought 3 pairs of maternity work pants and they worked well through out my whole pregnancy.
One of my most pleasant surprise purchases was a pair of black cigarette pants I picked up at Reitmans. They weren't maternity, but the waistband fit nicely under my bump and I was able to wear them even in my 3rd trimester. I enjoyed them much more than my "secret fit panel" work pants. Try to steer clear of that secret fit panel if you can. Invest in one good pair of work pants, like the Isabella Oliver ones pictured. You'll wear them lots and they will also look great at dressy dinners and events.

Work a wrap dress

Wrap dresses are fantastic. They are very work appropriate (especially with a blazer over top), comfortable and look awesome on a pregnant lady. There are lots to be found in great colours and patterns, so I'd suggest picking up 2 or 3. Wear a camisole underneath so you don't have to worry about your cleavage, and you'll be all set!

Get a jersey pencil skirt

I had a black jersey pencil skirt in my wardrobe before I got pregnant, and didn't really think to wear it until I pulled it on in a rush to get out the door one morning. It became my favourite piece to wear throughout my pregnancy. I loved how lightweight and comfy my skirt was, and it was easy to dress up with blazers and pretty tops. I wore the skirt just as often with tanks and a denim jacket on the weekend.  A jersey pencil skirt can be worn over or under your bump, whichever feels more comfortable for you. If you can only afford to buy one or two maternity pieces, I would suggest getting a black jersey maternity skirt for sure. They are easy to find at non-maternity stores (like American Apparel) and maternity stores alike (skirt pictured is asos.com).

Watch your silhouette
I figured out when I was about 4 months along that I had to be especially cognizant of silhouette when getting dressed for work. I looked most put together when I made sure that I mixed full/billowy pieces with slim ones. Let me try to explain better: if I wore a billowy top with wide leg trousers, I felt wide, wide, wide. Swapping out the wide leg trousers for cigarette pants and throwing a cropped jacket on top: instantly better. Always anchor your flowy pieces with fitted ones. It will make you look way more chic. Cropped jackets and cardigans look great over flowy maxi dresses. A fitted jersey top will do your bump justice when worn with wide legged pants. Have fun and try some combinations yourself!


Jewellery, accessories and makeup will also go a long way to making you feel better about your work look. Treat yourself to some new pieces! You may have to wear the same black dress pants for 9 months, but you can have lots of fun with scarves, belts (more on wearing belts when pregnant next week!), jewellery and different makeup looks. Plus, you'll be on maternity leave soon enough! Yay!

XOXO,
Emily

Angelina Jolie & Victoria Beckham pics via pregnancyfashion.sheknows.com

No comments:

Post a Comment