Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Practical Fashion - Pregnant In The Summer


It's been awhile since I posted my take on "practical fashion", so I thought I'd go for 2 posts this week.

If you live in Toronto, you will know that it is frickin hot outside today. Heat alert! I'm getting flashbacks to last year when it was this hot and I was ginormously pregnant. I was huge, and ambling around in the heat was a challenge. Because of all the G20 silliness and World Cup parties that were happening last June, I couldn't rely on public transit and had to walk most places.

So, yeah, you can't just stop your life because it's hot when your pregnant, so here are some tips for staying as comfy as possible in the heat. I'm not going to go into any "drink a bunch of water"-type tips, as you are smart and likely know of such tips already.

1) Start with shoes

They should be comfortable and breatheable. They are most important. I swallowed my pride and picked up some Birkenstocks, and they served me so well in the heat. If runners are more your thing, wear them with thin wicking sport socks and give those nylon foot cover thing-ys a miss. It's also always a good idea not to wear the same shoes 2 days in a row.

2) Dress up your sportswear

Natural fabrics are always a good call for keeping cool, but don't forget about performance synthetics. If you pick up sporty tops in basic colours and shapes that aren't too flashy, you can wear them to work with a blazer on top. I found that I could find lots of non-maternity athletic wear that worked for me well into my third trimester, because the fabrics are forgiving. I wore Lululemon tanks and tees to work fairly regularly with a jersey pencil skirt and blazer. It was a pretty comfy summer uniform, and I kept fairly cool walking home once I took off the blazer.

3) Keep it flowy

I've already declared my love for maxidresses. They are perfect for walking around when pregnant in the heat. Look for jersey or silk chiffon fabrics, as nylon or some other synthetics may not breathe as well. A long flowy skirt with a tank or a floaty tunic over leggings will work really well too.

4) Don't be self-conscious about your bump

I was pretty certain when I first found out I was pregnant that I would not be wearing any of the following during my pregnancy: shorts, 2-piece bathing suits, mini skirts, tank tops, skinny jeans. Not only did I wear all 5 of those looks while pregnant, but they became wardrobe staples for me...and I was pretty huge. My attitude about these pieces was that, since it was obvious I was pregnant, I'd rather be comfortable than hot. I ended up losing any self-consciousness that I'd had and put together some cute looks as a result. So play around with pieces you may be a bit unsure about and stay cool!

Bensimon Elastique Tennis Flats (shopbop.com)
Deep Breath Tank (lululemon.com)
Frida Maxi Dress (anthropologie.com)
Maternity Boy Shorts (topshop.com)

XOXO,
Emily

Gwen Stefani pic via pregnancyfashion.sheknows.com

No comments:

Post a Comment