Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Monday, May 30, 2011

Practical Fashion - Take It To Church


I'm not really a church person. I've got no problem with church, or those who attend; it's just never really been a part of my routine. I think it has something to do with having to go to Catholic school as a kid.

Lately I've been unable to avoid church or reminders of church. In addition to attending a funeral in a church a few days ago, I saw lots of little ones dressed up for their first communions yesterday. The church around the corner from my place rang their bells for a long time in the afternoon too. I also saw so many beautiful old churches while driving through Quebec recently. It got me thinking today about dressing to attend church. Not so easy to do, is it? The three hours I spent recently at the Confederation Mall in Charlottetown, waiting for family to find appropriate church outfits, points to no.

You may be someone who attends church regularly, and in that case I'm sure that you dress according to the lead set by the rest of your congregation. Some congregations are definitely more formal than others. For those of us who don't attend regularly, well, I'm here to help! I'll try my best.

Now when I speak about dressing for church, I'm also including synagogue and mosque too. Attending services at each of these places requires some specific cultural observations, but the principles are relatively the same. Speaking to someone who regularly attends the mosque or synagogue you'll be visiting will help to ensure that you are appropriately attired.

Cover Yourself

I'm sure you have great legs and a nice rack, but the people in church don't need to see. Skirts should be knee-length (or longer) and tops shouldn't show any clevage. My personal feeling is that shoes should be closed-toed too, but I think you can get away with an open toe if it's tasteful.

Try Trousers!

Dressy trousers for church are win-win. They cover what needs covering, plus they still allow some mobility for kneeling, walking up stairs and what not. Tuck a blouse into high-waisted dress trousers and you will look awesome. (PS- the bare midriff is to show what the waist looks like. No bare midriffs in church!)

Don't Wear Anything Noisy

Seems like a no-brainer, yes? Well, I made the mistake of wearing jangly bracelets to church recently and had to put them in my purse after sitting for like 2 minutes. Sound carries thanks to the high ceilings of many churches, so crossing your legs or squirming in your seat while wearing a noisy fabric will get you noticed. Try to avoid leather, corduroy, stiff brocades, jangly jewellery or anything else that makes noise when you move. Definitely avoid clickety-clackety shoes.

When In Doubt...Throw On A Blazer

Putting on a blazer over your dress, jumpsuit or top will instantly elevate it and make it more classy. You can't go wrong wearing a sleeveless shift (knee-length, of course) with a tailored blazer. It will serve you well during service, and you can take off the blazer later when you go for drinks. That's what y'all do after church, yes? Drinks?

Girl by Band of Outsiders Alene Dress (lagarconne.com)
Ports 1961 Flared Leg Trousers (shopbop.com)
Oxford Ballet Flats (jcrew.com)
Richard Nicoll Suit Blazer (satineboutique.com)

XOXO,
Emily

Church Lady photo via this blog

No comments:

Post a Comment