Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Monday, February 14, 2011

Practical Fashion - I Heart Maxi Dresses


Spring will be in the air soon, which means it's almost time to pull out my favourite warm weather fashion piece - the maxi dress. I discovered how awesome a maxi dress can be last year during my pregnancy. They are comfy and versatile. If you pick an empire waisted style, you can pretty much wear the dress during your pregnancy and after. Here's what I worked out:

The Issues:
- I love maxi-dresses! Which stores carry the best ones?

My Solution:
I shopped around during my pregnancy, and found some great dresses at non-maternity stores. Here are my faves:

J.Crew usually has at least one great jersey maxi dress each season. I still wear the one I bought last winter even though I'm back to my normal size. They also have a great dress (Taryn) in silk chiffon that will work for formal events.

Now that they deliver to Canada, you should check out Topshop. The dress pictured above is from their maternity collection, but they normally have lots of great non-maternity maxi dresses too. I wore a Topshop maxi dress similar to the one above at least twice a week during my pregnancy and got lots of compliments on it...even from strangers! It was so rad to get compliments on my outfit when I felt like one of the Barbapapas and really brightened my day.


A designer whose clothes really worked for me when I was preggers was Rachel Pally. She has really great jersey separates and so many different styles of maxi dresses. I picked up 3 or 4. She has great solid coloured dresses, plus fun patterns too. Definitely check her designs out. They stock lots of her designs at shopbop.com, which is another great resource for finding maxi dresses.

Check out a maxi dress! They flatter most body types and are comfy as heck. Yay!

XOXO
Emily

Angelina Jolie pic via pregnancyfashion.sheknows.com

No comments:

Post a Comment