Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Friday, February 25, 2011

Solid Fashion Advice - Tyra Edition


America's Next Top Model started its 16th season this past Wednesday, and I thought that in honour of the occasion I'd get Tyra to dish out some fashion advice for y'all. Ok...so I just collected some of her notable quotables from Wednesday's episode and compiled them into Q & A form. Anyways, since I've focused my posts this week on the Academy Awards, I thought it would be great to put the focus on America's most talented actress.
Hey fool, where is my Oscar?

Style Credentials? 
Ummm...Tyra Banks? The (*ahem* self-described) most important supermodel of all time? The lady who can take any fashion, style or modelling situation and make it all about Tyra? I'd say her credentials speak for themselves.

Before we start...
Here's a recap of Wednesday's episode, in case you didn't watch. If you are waiting to watch then...**SPOILER ALERT**

Tyra decided to switch things up and didn't spend the whole first episode asking the semi-finalists dumb questions with Miss & Mr Jay. Instead, she decides to "punk" the finalists by pretending to send them home.
See ya uggos...just kidding! I am helping you by making you cry.

*sob* thanks Tyra *sob*

We met most of the girls and a few are really awesome, but most were boring. The models had a challenge where they walked in a T by Alexander Wang fashion show, which I was really excited for...except for this stupid twist:

They had to walk in a giant bubble, on a teeny runway, in the middle of a pool, in mid-calf length skirts, with a bunch of glitter in the bubble. For serious. The guest judge was Erin Wasson, and in lieu of a proper photo shoot they had Russell James photograph the girls getting ready for the show backstage. All the models walked super well, and no one fell down...just kidding!

The girls had their first panel, Tyra talked about Tyra, and my bff Andre Leon Talley made fun of a girl for wearing a feathered hair clip...while he was wearing this fine hat:
A feather on you head? How ridiculous.

The photos turned out pretty great overall, and one of the boring girls (I even forget her name!) was sent home. That's about it. Next week: the girls are attacked by bees! Fashionable bees!

Back to the shining star that is Tyra! Here we go...

Q: Hey Tyra, what is the best way to pay hommage to high fashion?

TYRA: I am paying hommage to high fashion right now by sporting the lovely Andre Leon Talley on my bah-day...and he feels so good!
so good


Q: The term "plus-size" model is sooooo two thousand and late. Tyra, can you do better?

TYRA: ...I prefer to call [plus sized models] fiercely real.
Ed note: The term "fiercely real" was used by Tyra at least than 4 times this episode
Another term you copyrighted to make extra cash Tyra? One I am under contract to use each and every week? This year's smize© or h2t©? Noooooo! Love, Nigel Barker, noted fashion photographer.

Q: Tyra, can you tell us about the good old days?

TYRA: I remember backstage at fashion shows. There would be some models like [makes sour pouty face]...and their pictures never ran in the magazines, and then there would be the ones like Christy Turlington and she'd be getting her makeup done and she'd go [smize face]...Linda Evangelista, all of 'em...so I was like oooooooooooh...I'm a do like that, so I started doing my thing too.
Still got it Tyra!

Q: Are rat tails back? I like them.

TYRA: I love that androgynous look, but check out that rat tail thing hanging off the back of her head. I cannot wait to cut that thing off.
The bad news: sorry dude!

Q: What is the hot new trend for Spring 2011?

TYRA: This picture looks like a 19 year old boy with makeup on...but that's what I like about it.
The good news: nice one!

Thanks Tyra!

XOXO
Emily

PS: My favourite Tyra quote of all is the one on this House of Holland t-shirt that my kind sister picked up for me at Colette in Paris (oh la la) a while back! You know I was wearing it Wednesday night during ANTM.

I haven't seen the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre. I haven't seen anything. I don't really care. - Tyra Banks
Shirt pic via luisaviaroma.com

No comments:

Post a Comment