Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Solid Fashion Advice - Celebrity Advice Givers Edition

My little peanut Arlo is too busy playing with toys to give y'all any fashion advice this week. I thought I'd try something different instead. Valentine's Day is all about spreading love, so I'm going to do my part and dole out a bit of advice myself. Who better to give fashion advice to than ladies who give out advice for a living! I've chosen a few women who are in the public eye telling people how they should live their lives. I like turning tables.

Style Credentials?
I wear clothes and I'm judgemental.

Let's get to it!

Q: How can Nancy Grace look less mean?


I don't think that Nancy can do much about her scowl or the mean way she yells at people, so let's focus on the pants suits. Nancy tends to dress like a sleazy defence attorney stereotype a lot of the time - all business but slightly seedy. Nancy, if you want to dress like a lawyer, why not take a page out of Markie Post's book and dress like Christine from Night Court? Lots of colour and bigger hair. It will distract from your crazy ramblings. Maybe trade jackets with Suze Orman? Anyways, this 3.1 Phillip Lim cropped blazer is a good start:
You're welcome Nancy!

Q: How can Gail Vaz-Oxlade jazz up her corporate look?
I love, love Gail Vaz-Oxlade and how she yells at ladies for spending too much money on clothes. I'm also petrified to ever meet her. I don't think she'd approve of my tendency to buy overpriced treats for myself, like British gossip magazines and Raincoast Crisps. Gail looks pretty good most of the time. I wouldn't change a thing about her hair or makeup. I would have her play it a bit less safe with her clothing choices every once and awhile. I've noticed that she tends to stick to solids. Why not try some Missoni? P.S. Gail: it's on sale!!!
You're welcome Gail!


Q: Does Delilah need any style advice?

I hope you have heard of Delilah. She's not available in all radio markets, but back when I used to work night shift I (unwillingly) listened to her all the time. She has people write sad letters in to her and then sends out a song to them to help them with their drama. It's like 5 hours of Casey Kasem's long distance dedications from back in the day.
"Dear Delilah, my wife left me for my brother, and then I wasn't allowed to attend my family Christmas celebrations. Save the troops. Love, Sad Jed."
"Oh Sad Jed, stay strong. Think about Jesus. Here is a Train song."
To be honest, I have no idea if Delilah needs style help. My hunch says yes. When I was 19, I spent a summer working at a radio station. All of the on-air talent there needed style help. Sorry for generalizing, but most radio station folks - with the exception of the djs who are also on tv and the sales folks - dress pretty casually at work. I picture Delilah dedicating Celine Dion hits to the masses in cat sweaters and matching stirrup pants. I hope I'm wrong Delilah! Anyways, my advice to her is to dress up fancy for work once and awhile. That way, the people at the radio station will think that Delilah has a mysterious date after work. According to Wikipedia, Delilah hasn't been so lucky in love. Well, Delilah, I'm dedicating this J-Crew dress to you, plus a terrible song. Stay strong.

You're welcome Delilah!




3.1 Phillip Lim double breasted cropped blazer (shopbop.com)
Missoni cardigan (theoutnet.com)
Veronique dress (jcrew.com)

XOXO
Emily

Nancy Grace photo via cnn.com; Gail Vaz-Oxlade photo via theglobeandmail.com; Delilah photo via rantsmag.com

No comments:

Post a Comment