Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Practical Fashion - Making An Effort



Valentine's day is coming. I am aware that this holiday stresses out pretty much everyone. If you have no one to buy a Garfield card for, you might feel down (don't! go out and have fun!), and if you have a partner you might be scratching your head trying to figure out what to get them. Wonder no more, the best gift of all time for Valentine's day is...lottery tickets. You're welcome.

So, yeah, I think the nicest thing you can do for your sweetheart on Valentine's day is to dress up nice for them. I'm not suggesting to get dolled up like a Desperate Housewife or put on a fancy gown. I just like to look like my best self in honour of St. Valentine and put a bit of effort in.

There is a possibility that you are currently thinking, "Shouldn't we show our love 365 days a year and not just on a day invented by greedy stores"? Sure...but I'm guessing you don't. Even Ziggy on Venus Ave took a day off now and again.


Oh...there will be no advice in this post about sexy underwears or things of that nature. You should know what floats your partner's boat, so stick with what they like. No judgements here. Anyway, here's what I worked out:

The Issues
- want to look good
- do not want to wear anything Valentine-themed (i.e. heart sweater, cupid earrings)
- don't want to go out and buy a new outfit

My Solutions
I've got my outfit and styling all picked out for V-day, but I'm going to keep the details under wraps for now (hint: dress, boots). Here are some tips for getting yourself all done up:

1) Put on some makeup
I'm not talking about doing yourself up like Christina Aguliera or Kim Kardashian or anything. A little bit of makeup goes a long way. It doesn't have to take a long time either. Your valentine will see a difference if you use a little concealer, blush, eyeshadow, mascara and lipgloss. Cash in your Shoppers Optimum points and pick up a few things in the makeup aisle if you don't already have makeup at home. If you don't know how to apply makeup, get some help from Carmindy.

2) Wear something figure flattering
You can dress as casual or as fancy as you'd like, as long as you put on something that makes your figure look dynamite. Flannel does not make you look dynamite, nor do things like harem (zooba) pants. No muffin tops or flub hanging over the top of your bra hooks. Size is irrelevant. You will look fantastic if your clothes fit you well and flatter your shape. British crazy ladies Trinny and Suzanna have lots of tips for dressing according to your shape if you need a hand.

3) Make sure it's clean
This tip will sound gross if you don't have small kids. Pre-peanut, I would change immediately if I spilled something on my outfit. Nowadays, it's pretty common for me to have cereal and/or vegetables in my hair and all over my clothes. I do change if I get baby poop on my clothes, but baby spit-up & baby pee are a bit of a toss-up, dependent on volume. No judgements please. Anyways, if you dress up nice for your sweetie and get baby stuff on you before they get home, you have to change. Best come up with a backup outfit or do a quick load of laundry.

4) Wear a past gift if you can
There has probably been a time in the past where your sweetie has given you an accessory of some sort as a gift: jewellery, scarves, purse, etc. Try to incorporate that into your outfit, to let them know that you appreciate them choosing something for you.

5) Don't dress the baby up to match you
Not sexy.

XOXO
Emily

Erdem lace dress (net-a-porter.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment