Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Practical Fashion - Pregnant On Film


Movies can be a great source of fashion inspiration. I love coming across an old movie on TV and seeing an item of clothing, or awesome styling, that sparks an idea for a new outfit. When I was pregnant, I definitely watched out a bit more closely for fashion inspiration from film and tv. For example, I watched the first few episodes of Season 3 of Mad Men twice just so that I could focus on Betty Draper's maternity fashions...and did the same with Trudie Campbell in season 4.



My absolute favourite!!!!!


In honour of the upcoming Academy Awards, I've selected some of my favourite pregnant ladies on film. There are lots to choose from, but I picked some that inspired me when I was pregnant.

1) Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby


Ok...if you are a pregnant lady, it might not be the best idea to watch this movie - especially if you haven't seen it before. I don't want to be responsible for inciting any wacky dreams about devil spawn. I love scary movies so I watched while pregnant and was happy to get the chance to see Mia Farrow in some really cute little dresses. Combined with her short hair, she looked really fresh and sweet. Well, I guess she looked as fresh and sweet as is possible when you are trying to escape from devil worshippers.  This dress from J Crew has a similar vibe, and is also available in white (I shied away from white as I spilled on myself all the time while preggers).



2) Claude Jade in Bed and Board


I am a pretty big Truffaut film fan, but Bed and Board isn't my favourite of his films. I have, however, watched it about 20 times (a few of those sans sous-titres) just to check out Claude Jade's film wardrobe. She looks classy and effortless all at the same time. She's only pregnant in a few scenes, but she totally stays true to her character's overall sense of style. Here's another little dress, but this one has great colour and pattern. Prior to becoming pregnant, I assumed that my maternity wardrobe would be all black, to hide my bump. I found that by picking a dress with a pattern, I looked put together in a hurry and less tired/grumpy. This Tibi dress would be a great choice.


Just remember to wear leggings or pants under a really short dress, as there is no graceful way to sit down or stand up with a giant belly bump. You'll be showing off your crotch soon enough to your obstetrician or midwife, so try to keep it covered for the time being.

3) Amy Poehler in Baby Mama


Alright, I am aware that this character was pretty trashy and her wardrobe was in itself a source of laughs in Baby Mama. For me, it was refreshing to see the character Angie dress crazy and fun while pregnant. I would get discouraged sometimes walking into a maternity store and being surrounded by bland and boring jersey t-shirts and polyester "miracle bump" pants. I take risks with fashion most days, and this movie reminded me that I shouldn't stop this practice just because I had a bun in the oven. Have fun and try something unexpected, like this American Apparel jumpsuit. Just don't pee in anyone's sink.


Yay movies! Check out some with pregnant characters, and hopefully you will be inspired to try something different and fun with your maternity wardrobe.

Cotton Lace Shift Dress (jcrew.com)
Tibi Bianca Shift Dress (shopbop.com)
Tri-blend Pocket Jumpsuit (americanapparel.ca)

XOXO
Emily

Junior photo via escapistmagazine.com; Betty Draper photo via tvfanatic.com; Trudie Campbell photo via racked.com

No comments:

Post a Comment