Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Practical Fashion - Talkin' Bout Diaper Bags

Hey!

How are you? How was your weekend? I know...enough with the small talk: let's talk about diaper bags. When I was pregnant, this was the item of baby gear that most filled me with dread. In my pre-baby life, I was pretty picky about what bag I carried. When I started looking around at options for diaper bags, I got scared that I was going to have to sacrifice style for utility. Once my panic subsided, I buckled down and looked at a whole bunch of different options before I found a bag that was just right for me.

It turns out that buying a diaper bag is pretty much the same as buying any other bag. You should get one that you find visually appealing and that will work with your lifestyle. I love the Chanel 2.55, but I don't lead a dainty enough lifestyle to carry around a teensy little bag on a daily basis. Same thing with a diaper bag; it would have been a waste of money for me to buy a high-maintenance designer diaper bag as it wouldn't fit with my active (and messy) mom lifestyle.

Here are some diaper bag options that I came up with:

The "Walking Around The City" Mom
Confession time...I totally own and use this Petunia Picklebottom diaper bag (in blue). The 'lil peanut and I walk or take transit most places, either with him in a stroller or carrier, and this bag works with our lifestyle. I like this bag very much. The straps work well in conjunction with my baby carrier and stay put on my shoulder when I'm pushing a stroller. There is a great magazine pocket in the front, with a spot for your cell phone, and lots of room inside for the many, many things moms have to lug around. It's canvas and lined inside so I don't worry about it getting too messy - from the elements or the 'lil peanut.

The "Open Road" Mom

If you don't live in a large city and will be driving most places, you have a bit more flexibility with the kind of bag you can carry around. It should be big, but should also have compartments so that you can find things like snacks, keys or your wallet easily. As with all diaper bags, you also are going to want a great change pad and a case for wipes too. Storksak is a really popular brand with celebrity moms and this bag is both pretty and functional. I'd carry this bag for sure if I spent more time indoors and drove more. It is leather, so make sure to use a protective product on it and wipe it clean asap if it gets any baby mess on it.

The "Life Is An Adventure" Parent
If you spend most of your time trekking all around with your little one, you might want to go with a backpack. Backpack diaper bags tend to be more sturdy than shoulder bags. I'd also suggest this style if you're going to be lugging around a lot of baby gear in your bag, as it will be easier on your back. This Baby Sherpa bag is apparently owned by many celebrities, although they include Jennifer Love Hewitt on the list. I'm pretty sure that lady gets dumped by dudes before she can get knocked up as a rule, so why she needs a diaper bag is beyond me.

The "Girly Doesn't Work For Me" Parent
My husband does not enjoy when I ask him to carry our flowery, girly diaper bag around places. We have a second diaper bag by Skiphop that is much more utilitarian. If you aren't down with a diaper bag that looks like a purse, stick with a messenger style bag in a more neutral colour. The one pictured is by Diaper Dude.

The "I Don't Do Diaper Bags" Parent

Hope is not lost if you really just cannot stomach the idea of ditching your pretty designer bag for a bag that screams "run away - she has a baby". It's totally fine to use a bag that you already own (or a fun new prezzy) as your designated baby bag.  I would suggest using a tote or large shoulder bag. Also, seriously protect any leather or suede, and make sure that you will not be crushed when your pretty bag gets any of the following on it: barf, poop, pee, slobber, food, medicine, snow/slush. You can pick up a small clutch that contains baby changing accessories and convert your purse to a baby bag in no time! The clutch will also work on its own if you prefer carrying around something compact.
Skip Hop's Pronto Clutch folds out into a large changing pad, and has room for diapers/wipes
Check out ebay.com to find deals on some of the pricier bags. There are lots of great diaper bags out there if you keep your lifestyle in mind and do a little looking around. Happy hunting!

Petunia Picklebottom Sashay Satchel (shop.petunia.com)
Elizabeth Leather Camel Bag (www.storksak.com)
Baby Sherpa Backpack Diaper Bag (mountainbaby.com)
Diaper Dude Eco-Dude Messenger (duematernity.com)
Pronto Changing Station (skiphop.com)
Edie Large Shoulder (www.mulberry.com)

XOXO
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment