Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Throwback Inspiration - Bianca Jackson


When I was in high school, the Buffalo, NY PBS station used to show episodes of Eastenders on Friday nights. I watched once when I had a night in and got pretty hooked. I would tape all of the episodes on VHS and watch them when I got home from being out. Canadians love them some Coronation Street (myself included), but Eastenders in the 90s was even more badass from what I remember. It definitely had better villains than Corrie. The Mitchell brothers were awesome and crazy, the trampy Cindy tried to have her husband killed, and of course Dot Cotton was there to tell you what was what.


The best character hands down was Bianca Jackson. Her clothes and accessories were flashy and her voice was flashier (her catchphrase was "Rickaaaaaaay", as she'd often yell for her man Ricky). She had awesome storylines, like trying to seduce a dude that turned out to be her dad, and cheating on Ricky a bunch. Plus, her family could have had its own wacky sitcom - the breakout star of course being her sister Sonia and her trumpet.

Why is the trumpet cropped out?!?
I loved Bianca's fun outfits, but from a beauty perspective she kept it pretty simple: minimal makeup to show off her freckles, and looooooong red hair. The bangs are rad and she had such a range of hairstyles.




Bianca's favourite colour appears to have been "shiny" as looking back at some videos she is always wearing a metallic fabric of some sort. I'm kinda feeling the metallics right now, so I'll for sure be using Bianca as a styling inspiration in the coming months - my take on Bianca if she was a bit classier and older. Rickaaaaaaaay!



XOXO
Emily

Dot Cotton photo via bbc.co.uk; Jackson family photo via tvthrong.co.uk; Bianca & Ricky photo via nowmagazine.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment