Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Naptime Netflix - John Pinette: I'm Starving



Culling through the slim Netflix Canada pickings the past few weeks, I kept coming across this selection. It's always displayed next to Gabriel Iglesias: Hot and Fuzzy. Figuring that this movie couldn't be any worse than racist puppeteer Jeff Dunham or Larry the Cable Guy stand up, I took a chance on John Pinette. Also, I was really hungry as my little peanut took a long time to go down for his nap. Serendipitous!

I didn't recognize John Pinette, so I checked him out on IMDB. Turns out his biggest break was starring on Parker Lewis Can't Lose. Bad sign. His last gig was touring as the mama in Hairspray the musical. Worse sign!

Ridiculous Factor?
Pretty high. The opening scene is pretty representative of John's standup. A waiter brings John a giant silver covered meal platter. The waiter lifts the cover to reveal a teeny salad. John looks into the camera, pulls a face and screams, "I'm starvin'!"Har har har.

Over the course of 1:15 hrs, we learn that John Pinette likes food, likes to eat food, hates camping, likes cruises and Starbucks...oh, and he also likes to eat food. There is a weird soft focus filter on hungry John that is distracting. He doesn't actually eat anything, so I imagine he is still starving.

Verdict?
Booooooooo. I enjoy stand up films as long as I chuckle at least a couple times. This film? Zero chuckles. My time would have been better spent listening to Temple of the Dog's Hunger Strike on repeat for an hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment