Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Naptime Netflix - Smithereens


This week I was all set to write about the film 2012:Doomsday. It looks so crazy bad that it must be good, right? Good relative to the slim pickings on Netfilx Canada, anyway. When my peanut went down for his nap, I braced myself for awesomeness... and then I fell asleep about 6 minutes in and have no idea what happened.

The movie Smithereens, on the other hand, did not put me to sleep. It's an indie film from 1982 that appealed to me because it looked to be in a similar vein to the movie Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains. I love, love, love that movie. This film was directed by Susan Seidelman (director of Desperately Seeking Susan and She-Devil! Meryl and Roseanne together!) and stars Richard Hell. Decent credentials.

Ridiculous Factor?
So, so, so high. The main character in the film, Wren, is a girl so annoying that I have no idea why anyone talked to her or helped her throughout the film. It pretty much made the whole plot of the movie hard to buy. The ending was supposed to be a bummer, but I was just happy the film was finished.

Verdict?
I really wanted to like this movie. It looked really cool and I liked the soundtrack. My reaction to this movie was very similar to how I felt about Sid and Nancy. Like Nancy, the character of Wren was so annoying, so horrifyingly annoying, that I just couldn't get into the film. At least Nancy was based on a real person. Wren seems kind of Madonna-esque but I'm guessing she's fictional.

Avoid this movie unless you want to use it to torture someone.

XOXO
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment