Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Practical Fashion - Let's Talk 4th Trimester

I've been having trouble since I was pregnant last year - and especially since my son was born in July - finding advice about fashion that I can actually apply to my new body. None of the blogs or magazines I normally read offered much help. I thought I'd share my issues and what I was able to work out.

Getting dressed to leave the house during the first months post-birth was a really big challenge. I had my at-home sweatpants look down pat, but finding clothes that made me feel like I looked good was near impossible.  

The Issues
- maternity clothes stopped fitting almost immediately postpartum
- pre-pregnancy clothes still too tight/uncomfortable
- couldn't find any jeans that would fit or had a comfortable waistband
- clothes had to be amenable to nursing

My Solution
I ended up putting together a uniform look for myself that I could just throw on without thinking and feel confident in. Throwing on an outfit in a couple seconds saved me a lot of time and worry.  

Before my pregnancy, I used to throw on a dress if I needed to look put together in a hurry, but dresses and nursing in public do not mix so I had to start from scratch.  My 4th trimester uniform consisted of:

- 2 pairs of flared black dress pants (I chose Gap Modern Bootcut)
- 5 fitted tanks (black American Apparel worked best for me)
- 2 nursing bras that were properly (professionally) fit
- 2 pairs of flat shoes (white Converse Chuck Taylors and grey ballerina flats)
- blue jean jacket
- 3 cardigans (all from pre-pregnancy wardrobe)

Adopting a utilitarian style of dress is pretty boring under normal circumstances, but when you aren't sleeping and have to leave the house in a hurry (always in a hurry!) it does the trick. I now regret a few of the clothes I bought right after giving birth and they've already been donated to charity. If I were to do it over again, I would stick to buying those key pieces I described above - the ones I wore over and over again.

If you're struggling with your 4th trimester wardrobe, the best thing you can do is to limit what you buy. Wait for a few months (until your body settles down) to figure out with what pieces you need to get and what styles are now the most flattering for you. In the meantime, come up with your own version of the uniform and spend a couple hours trying things on. Better yet - once you have an idea of what you want, have a friend pick up some things for you to try at home, and then return what you don't want. It will be worth it!!!

XOXO
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment