Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Great Moments in Soap History - Timmy


It was announced recently that the long-running soaps All My Children and One Life To Live will be cancelled in the coming months. I don't watch either of these shows, but the news made me a bit sad because I love soap operas and there are so few left on the air.

Soap operas are, for me, the tv equivalent of eating awesome junk food every once and awhile. They are like fantasy/sci fi, but still set in reality and campy. I get as excited about a zany Victor Newman plot line as most fellas would get about Lost or Battlestar Gallactica. It's an under-appreciated genre people! Every couple of weeks I'm going to highlight a particularly fun moment, character or plotline in soap history, to honour the genre I love so much.

First up - Timmy: Harmony's best and only doll/boy!

The show Passions was one hot mess. I didn't particularly love it, but would watch it when I was feeling lazy in university or when I was working shift work in my first post-uni job. There were lots of annoying characters (ugh...Sheridan Crane = worst!) and plotlines (Ethan loves Gwen! Ethan loves Teresa! No, Gwen!). There was even a character named Fancy. Oh...also, an orangutan who dressed as a nurse and was in love with a policeman named Luis. The superstar of the show and the only real reason for watching was Timmy.

One of the witches that lived in Harmony, Tabitha Lennox, sewed Timmy and brought him to life to be her companion. He ruled because he always spoke of himself in the third person, wore white gloves (I guess they were technically his stuffed hands) and drank lots and lots of martimmys. He hated Fluffy the cat, loved Charity (normal Charity, not Zombie Charity - another Harmony resident) and was pals with Julian Crane, the richest jerk in town. I believe at one point he became a real boy. It was icky when he went into "doll mode" to spy on the residents of Harmony. He had great chemistry with Tabitha, and they had lots of scenes that made up for his icky doll state.

Timmy was played by Josh Ryan Evans, who sadly passed away in 2002 as a result of complications during a surgery. In a sad and eerie coincidence, he died on the same day that a Passions episode aired where his character donated his heart to Charity and passed away. He was a really terrific actor and easily stole the show when he was on screen.



Yay Timmy!


XOXO,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment