Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Practical Fashion - Help A Lady Out

Do you like presents? I do, even more than this fella!

When ladies are pregnant, people get excited about getting them gifts for the baby. That is understandable, as baby things are mega-cute. But what about the pregnant lady herself? If you want to do a pregnant lady a solid, give her a little something to brighten her day. I'm not talking about a Proenza Schouler PS1 (although if someone got one for me I'd be pretty stoked). Try something small. Here are some ideas of fashionable gifts that you might want to give to your favourite preggo:

Cute Flip-flops or Slippers

If you have a ballpark of her shoe size, pick up something comfy for her to trudge around in, either inside or out. If you are extra sweet, throw in a gift card for a pedicure and your preggo friend just might name their baby after you.

Jewels

If you see a necklace or pair of earrings that call out "give me to your friend", buy them and gift them! Pregnant ladies love jewellery because it fits for all 9 months and reflects their "glow". No rings please unless they are jelly rings. It is no fun to try and pull a ring off of a swollen pregnancy finger.

Blankets

Even if it is summer, pregnant ladies love blankets. They just do.

Lip Balm

I always had chapped lips while I was pregnant, and could never find my lip balm because I was also very spacey. There was no such thing as too much lip balm at that time. Great present!

On the other hand, here are a few things that you probably should not give to your pregnant friends:

Clothes

There is a very good chance that any clothes you buy for your pal will not fit. Even if something does fit, it will likely not fit for long. If you must, give them a gift card so that they can buy something that fits when they need it. Just don't get them a Lululemon gift card and then later offer to exchange it for a card to another store as you didn't realize that their "shape" has returned. That happened to me, and it wasn't fun.

Jokes
Hey, wouldn't it be funny to give [insert preggo's name here] a bottle of booze? Maybe some lingerie? No, I've got it...a comedy t-shirt that looks like this."

Your friend may have a fantastic sense of humour, and may be the best sport ever...but come on! Do you like seeing pregnant ladies cry? They may just cry if you give them a "funny" gift. That is what happens when your hormones are beyond your control. When I was pregnant, I once weeped so hard during an episode of Dog Whisperer that my husband had to leave the room. I can't even imagine if I got a "No Fat Chicks" shirt or something. No funny gifts until after the baby pops out.

Indah Foxy Beach Slippers (shopbop.com)
Woven Mesh Bracelet (jcrew.com)
Ferm Living Remix Blanket (modernkaribou.ca)
Rosebud Salve (sephora.com)

XOXO,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment