Kids are awesome and moms love their kids...but between the Raffi and the playdates and the nurturing and such, sometimes you need a quick break. Take a breather from the "mom (or dad) zone" for a few minutes. Put the baby in the crib, grab your tea, put your feet up and enjoy!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Practical Fashion - Pick-Me Ups

This week so far has been very much like last week for me - a very sore molar, a cold and an adorable 'lil peanut who is teething and doesn't feel like sleeping much. I find that when I'm tired and fighting through illness/injury, the right piece of clothing or an accessory can really help to brighten my mood. I have what I call "pick-me up" pieces: tried and true pieces that I know look good and that make me smile. Throw in a little Juste Pour Rire Gags and my mood is instantly lifted.

During pregnancy, when you might be moody, extra tired or possibly feeling sick, pick-me up pieces are even more essential but also trickier. You won't be able to fit into the super cute mini that you love when you're 8 months along, and that may make your mood even worse. For me, I focused my attention on my pick-me up accessories, or tried to find a piece in "maternity" wear that fit the premise of one of my usual faves. 

Here are the 5 pieces that I find really help to pick-me up! Hopefully they will provide a bit of inspiration for you too:

Flippy Little Skirt
This is the kind of skirt that I find I can just throw on and feel good. It floats away from the body and works with most of my tops. Easy peasy.

Grey Cashmere Cardigan
Not the most dynamic item of clothing, I know, but throwing on a cardigan like this always helps me to feel a bit more classy and put together. I am partial to grey, but throwing on a cardigan like this in your favourite colour is certain to make you feel like a million bucks.

Sleeveless Print Dress
I have a couple dresses similar to this one that work for me because they are a super-flattering silhouette for my shape, and are in a fun print. Even if you feel dreadful, putting on a cute dress will make you look put together in a hurry.

Sunglasses
Can't beat a large pair of sunglasses. I end up getting pairs that look pretty similar, as I know that oversized, tortoiseshell round-frames suit me best. For outdoor use only please.

Big Earrings
Lately I've been wearing zero jewellery most of the day (as I don't want the 'lil peanut to break/eat it), so when I go out wearing big earrings has become a quick go-to piece. I have a few pairs that I've had for awhile, and they work with most outfits & hairstyles. Most of the time I favour big gold hoops, but I'm a fan of chandelier earrings too.

Featherweight Cashmere Cardigan (jcrew.com)
Tippi Dress (anthropologie.com)
Oliver Peoples Zaya Round-Frame Sunglasses (net-a-porter.com)
Candace Ang Nouveau Earrings (urbanoutfitters.com)

Once you have figured out a few pick-me up pieces of your own, hopefully they will help to brighten your mood once and awhile. Good luck!

XOXO,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment